Sunday, May 10, 2009

Black Licorice


Hey, let's face it, I like black licorice! I'm not going to make any excuses because it is my favorite. Actually, I like all kinds of soft chewy candy including gummy bears, gummy worms, coke bottles, sour gummy worms, good and plenty, and even laffy taffy. My candy preference is really very limited when it comes to hard candy. I remember at Christmas time, at our house, we had some of both and when Christmas time was over, we always had to throw out those red and white minty things that stuck to the bottom of the serving dish because no one ever ate all of them, including me. Somehow there is a satisfaction associated with chewing candy that just isn't there with hard candy. Maybe it's because you can eat soft candy while hard candy you must crunch it or some other sort of barbaric activity. Yes, soft candy is the way to go, no doubt.


However, there is one very special soft candy that just can't be beat and that is chewy black licorice. Left on my own, with no restrictions, I can probably put away as much black licorice as anybody, probably more than is really good for me.


Actually, twizzlers (which is a brand name) don't contain true licorice, but are made to taste like licorice and are much less intense. Real licorice can actually work to raise your blood pressure while twizzlers won't have that effect. I prefer the taste of the real licorice but can pound down a bunch of twizzlers just as quickly.


I like eating gummy bears and all the rest, but for real pleasure, give me a bag of fresh, soft, chewy, real black licorice.


5 comments:

janet said...

Must be a male cadman trait.

larrycad said...

I taught him well!!!

Amy said...

I agree with Janet, my dad loved black licorice too, but I would have to say that one of my favorite memories of Grandpa Cadman was when pulled a
hard candy out of his pocket(mints or butterscotch) every time I saw him. Mabe those were the ones from Christmas that no one wanted?

suep said...

Hey,
I don't know about the male part of the cadman trait. I love black jelly beans, and am willing to participate in any black jelly bean eating contest. I also love twizzlers, more so the red ones though.
I LOVE CHEWY CANDY TOOOOOOO!!!

janet said...

I stand corrected- it is a pure cadman trait... as a "non-pure" cadman- I too have learned to love the chewy candy (not black licorice- FIL- you can have it all!)