Saturday, January 17, 2009

Trying to get going:

Here is a story to help your imagination: Started packing all the last minute stuff last night and decided to wait until this morning to leave. Got up early and started to work on last minute loose ends. Got pretty much finished about 10:00 and decided it was time to fire up the Cummins and get ready to leave. Keep in mind it went down to -12 last night and was pretty much unchanged at 10:30. Tried to crank up the motor and it just was not ready to go yet. So I dragged out the torpedo heater and aimed it under the back of the coach. Meanwhile I also checked to make sure the block heater was working. Well, the breaker was tripped and the heater was not doing anything. Ran an extension cord from the house to the block heater and with that, along with the torpedo heater, I am hoping by 2pm I might be able to get 'er going. During all of this, I was also putting air in the tires of both the coach and the car. Getting 105psi into those tires on a good day is tough, getting it in when the temps are -12 is a real SOB!! I estimated I could handle, maybe, 10 minutes of the cold at a time. Of course the various air hoses and power cords really don't like to uncoil at -12, so that really hindered the process. So, I am now sitting here on the couch, waiting for the motor to heat up so I can try it again in a while. Of course the good news is that the weather in Florida is COLD!! So why am I doing this???

1 comment:

janet said...

Have a great time and use your sunscreen