Friday, February 06, 2009

Friday, Feb. 6, 2009

Today is Friday and what a glorious morning! When I first went out to walk the pups, there was frost on the ground, but within 5 minutes of beautiful sunshine it was gone! Today the temperatures are going up to mid 70s and it will be 80 here within a few days.

Under the subject of future activities, I have been watching the progress of the next shuttle launch which was originally scheduled for next week, on Thursday. However, it has now been postponed until the 19th of Feb. My hope is to be able to travel over to Kennedy Space Center to watch that event. Other than the Columbia and the Challenger, shuttle launches have gotten to be sort of matter-of-fact, but it still inspires me as a massive accomplishment, harnessing that power in a positive direction. I have always wanted to witness a shuttle launch (actually, I have always wanted to participate in a shuttle launch, or even be a passenger!) and this may be the only chance I will ever have.

If you have been paying attention to national news lately, hopefully you have been following the inspiring story of the US Airways plane landing on the Hudson river. Most recently the cockpit voice recordings of the conversations between the pilot and departure control were released yesterday and to listen to that conversation was, to me, chilling. Having done a bit of flying myself, it is still difficult to put myself into Captain Sully's seat during this emergency. To say he was cool under fire would be to dramatically understate the circumstances.

Today I am going to set a goal of getting some better pics of the campground where we are staying, and hopefully I will be able to share them with you. This is truly a very nice place that is well maintained, not to mention our site is very nice with the lake in our back yard.

Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

janet said...

One of the best places to watch the shuttle- if you can't get to Kennedy- is at Cocoa Beach. We saw the shuttle take off there 2 summers ago and what an experience! People flock to the beach, they cheer, they sing. I asked the cop if it is always like this and he said for every shuttle launch it is. Make sure you take picuters and movies. You won't believe the noise that bird makes!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy the weather is more Florida like and should be from here on out! I'm grateful to have my parents down here and have been trying to spend as much time with them showing them what Krista and I have added to our life. Such as Thai food and a michael buble concert ( on DVD) last night, and Greek food the day before. It's a real pleasure having you here and hope you enjoy your time as well.
Larry jr

Brian said...

Funny. I have been eating good Indian food lately.

From what I understand Indian is similar to Thia.