Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Settling in

I think I am beginning to comprehend the meaning of the phrase, "settling in", as it applies to retirement living. Mind you, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a difficult adjustment. I mentioned a few days ago about the difficulty in keeping track of how long I have been retired, albiet somewhat tongue in cheek. (BTW, this is from Wikipedia: Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humor in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its lack of seriousness is subtle. The origin of its usage comes from when Spanish minstrels would perform for various dukes in the 18th century; these dukes would silently chastise the silliness of the minstrel's performances by placing their tongue firmly to the side of their cheek.)

Anyway, the settling in process includes the somewhat difficult attempts to keep track of time, and the mental and physical adjustments to retirement. For years I have trained myself to keep emotions in check when difficulties arose. This was necessary in a business where difficult situations were our stock-in-trade. Now those emergencies are gone and the normal day to day emotional highs and lows have settled down and I am having to adjust. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is going to make me more sensitive, or less sensitive. I guess only time will tell.

BTW, the above explanation of "tongue-in-cheek", is one of the new features of this blog, and I am going to try to provide some new topic each day to review and discuss in my efforts to educate the world. Hope you enjoyed it.

Larry

P.S. stay tuned tomorrow for a clear cut explanation of a commonly used (misused) phrase.

No comments: